The Master of Arts in Counseling at Southwestern Adventist University is designed to develop and deliver a program that ensures the highest counseling preparation and performance. As a recognized leader in the field of counseling, SWAU’s counseling faculty prioritize effective teaching, quality research, and meaningful service.
The University is committed to the advancement of holistic counseling in mental health and school environments—at all levels—and for all students. Courses are taught through a Seventh-day Adventist Christian worldview.
School Counseling emphasizes:
- Improvement of mental health and behavioral symptoms within the school system
- Group or individual counseling and education for an entire school’s population
Counseling Psychology emphasizes:
- Understanding of behavioral symptoms and issues through research, testing, and assessments
- Individual support over more specific and targeted issues
Overall, our program is focused on:
- Promoting excellence in graduate education through exemplary research, practice, and service
- Preparing competent counselors for both public and private mental health and school settings
- Improve human cognitive, academic, physical, emotional, social development, and performance