Southwestern Adventist University complies with the provisions set forth in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, offering reasonable accommodations to qualified students with documented disabilities. In keeping with Southwestern Adventist University policy, any student with a disability who requires academic accommodations will need to call Disability Services at 817-202-6614 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a confidential appointment with the Coordinator of Disability Services during the first week of classes.
Accommodations for disabilities are available only as recommended by the Coordinator of Disability Services after a review of supporting documentation. Accommodations will not be provided if they fundamentally alter or impact the nature of the program or inappropriately impede access for others. The University’s goal is to provide an academic experience and learning opportunity, not to guarantee the success of the student’s education or career.
It is the mission of the Disability Services Office to help students with disabilities develop academically, socially, and spiritually through support.
Goals of the Disability Services Office
The Disability Services Office seeks to empower students with disabilities to access all aspects of university life at Southwestern Adventist University through:
- The implementation of appropriate accommodations in accordance with Section 504/ADA policy.
- Assisting students with disabilities as they learn to self-advocate. Assist them with academic excellence, time management, and self-knowledge.
- Coordinating academic and other support services by collaborating with the students, faculty, and university staff.
- Education of the university faculty and staff about disability issues and concerns.
- Fostering student development academically, socially, and spiritually through the support of the Disabilities Services Office.