Dinosaur & Fossil Class Experience
We are excited to offer a new Fossil Preparator Training Course. This course will meet for an entire day of sessions and will provide training in the basics of paleontology, fossil excavation, preparation, preservation, and curation.
These sessions will be taught by our experienced staff members and will cover the following topics:
- Learn the basic principles of paleontology and about the history of our museum and research project.
- Learn how to properly excavate and jacket fossils.
- Learn how to clean and stabilize fossils.
- Learn how to make fossil replicas.
- And learn the basics of our museum management system.
This is a rare opportunity to learn the science and process of dinosaur excavation and preparation! Whether you are a child interested in paleontology, a high schooler taking biology, a college student looking to build your resume, or a retiree seeking a new hobby, this course is for you!
This course is just $70 and will be held on the campus of Southwestern Adventist University. A certificate of completion will be awarded upon successfully passing a final exam. Class sizes are limited to 8 people. The course breakdown is as follows:
- 9:00 am – 10:30 am: Introduction, an overview of the basics of paleontology, and a museum tour
- 10:30 am – 1:00 pm: Excavation and jacketing
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: Lunch break
- 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Fossil preparation and replication
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm: Course exam; must pass to receive a certificate of completion (only with purchase of certification)
Sign up for our monthly newsletter or follow us on social media to stay informed on course availability!
(Future course dates are pending. Please call or email for more information on upcoming classes.)
Students per class
Day of sessions
For the basic course